Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fall planting!


Getting the fall garden ready...I can't believe how many weeds took over this summer - more weeds than veggies, really. We did get a few really beautiful butternut squash, one I am saving for Thanksgiving. And of course, through mid July we had a little zucchini...but August? I think I just let everything get taken over - and now I am paying for it! The worst is the long, strong grasses that send runner even under the heavy path mulch layers. There is not a good way other than just pure muscle to get it out...I am digging out the paths and building up the beds a bit, and we have LOTS of lovely compost! Thank you bunny...

So this week, putting in garlic, greens, and maybe a small bed of asparagus crowns...pictures will come soon!


In other High Meadows and Charlottesville news... The first Fluvanna County Wine Festival is coming up - I can't wait to taste the wines from our friends at Thistle Gate!

Pippin Hill continues to be a favourite place to visit - most guests don't want to leave! The wide porches, the beautiful views - and of course the wine and food - I didn't want the day to end when I was up there last time either!

So - life continues on with all of it's beauty, here and everywhere...see you soon!

No comments: