|Photo by Cville Craft Attack|
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Sunday, September 15, 2013
The answer is both easy and hard...of course, we know you'll love it here - no matter what the reason for your visit...first, let's do the similarities:
Both hotels and B&B's provide staff to help you, private rooms, private bathrooms, places to hang your clothes. Pretty basic stuff.
The differences are where the easy and hard parts of the answer come from:
Hotels often have -
* someone at the front desk 24/7
* Restaurants, bars, and room service
* phones and TVS in all the rooms
* rooms with 2 beds, often full or queen
* a bellhop to carry your bags
Our inn may not have the things listed above - but what we DO have might make more of a difference in your experience visiting our area:
* Staying with us feels more like you are staying at a friend's house...imagine your best friend telling you the things they like best about their hometown, and that's what you'll get here. Say you want to go out to eat - how about that local 'hole-in-the-wall' recommendation you might not see on Trip Advisor, but that is AMAZING. Or local tips for sightseeing, or even avoiding traffic...we know -because we LIVE here.
* Our beds are great. Our sheets are great. Our housekeeping staff LOVES what they do - they aren't cleaning a ton of rooms like a robot - so your room is ALWAYS spotless, most likely with fresh flowers by the bed, if not a germy hotel phone.
* Our food is great. No continental cheerio/waffle mix/toaster oven room here...freshly squeezed seasonal juices, coffee just ground this morning and locally roasted, eggs from hens in the backyard, herbs from the garden - seriously, breakfast is half of our name, of course we do it right.
* We know the local winemakers...you want to see what goes on behind the tasting room doors? Chances are, we can make that happen. Want to tour a working farm? Just ask! Best local markets? Best local shops? We have that covered too.
Those are the basics...but there is also the friendliness factor.
You aren't required (or even expected!) to talk to other guests. But it often happens...conversations here aren't forced, or phony...they just HAPPEN. Maybe it's the casual charm of High Meadows, or just the relaxed feel of 'home'...who knows? Whatever the reason, we have seen more than one couple strike up a casual conversation making tea in the morning, and then head off together to experience their wine tastings together. Just know that here, and at most of the B&B's we have visited, we are here to help as much or as little as you wish!
Sunday, June 30, 2013
Instead - I will give a sneak preview of the new photos, taken by C'ville's Andrea Hubbell that will be gracing our NEW website in a few weeks. I am so pleased with how beautifully she captured High Meadows! She is half of the team behind Beyond the Flavor, a local food blog, that has featured so many of our friends, neighbors and favorite farmers.
So...a few photos:
Sunday, March 24, 2013
Sorry to anyone who has experienced our website issues the last few days...we're almost out of the mud on that one, online reservations will be back up soon. In the mean time, you can always find us and loads of other gorgeous b&b's at bedandbreakfast.com or innvirginia.com.
Anyone a fan of Portlandia? Hilarious sketch about a B&B inspection...
and on that note...I aim to head to the back porch to watch the fading light with a nice hot cup of tea. Cheers!
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
In celebration of spring, and of the 'winds of March'...First Colony is hosting their first annual 'Kites & Flights' this Saturday! Looks like loads of fun, you can bring your own kite - or make one there. New owners are breathing some new life into the winery - we are looking forward to seeing their vision come be. I actually had the pleasure of a terrific wine tasting there last week - Mateo was so accomodating to our out of state visitors! Best wine we tasted all day too!
We are booked this weekend - but if you are planning to take a break this spring - we have rooms available (several refreshed and repainted for spring!) through March and April...and believe it or not, ONE room open for UVA graduation...so spread the word. Lodging is pretty tight mid-May - so if you are coming, better act fast. :)
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
www.thistlegatevineyard.com or www.aftonmountainvineyards.com or meet the new owners at www.firstcolonywinery.com
It's also Dave's birthday...come raise a glass to his accomplishments, at www.blenheimvineyards.com just a few miles up the road, where Kirsty Harmon is one of our favorite winemakers!
Thursday, January 3, 2013
We know that everyone loves to see pictures! I know I do. Our friends at Experience Charlottesville on Facebook have some great pictures we should be sharing – I keep meaning to, but whew! 2012 just flew by…
Which is ok – here we are, excited for some new additions at High Meadows, not the least of which is our beautiful new gazebo ceiling mural. Nearly complete – now we are looking for just the right light…maybe a Moravian star? ALWAYS wanted one of these! or another fabulous painted metal floral chandelier? But they are so hard to find!
Maybe we’ll take a vote…I’ll post pictures of the mural when completed, and we can all decide together.
If you are planning a trip soon – our January special is ‘Lunch on Us’ with a 2-night stay…so make your reservations soon! We’ll pack you a terrific locavore picnic lunch to enjoy wherever your day takes you.
A new addition to breakfast…our good friends at http://www.hudsonhenrybakingco.com/ are selling out wherever they go! We are trying not to run out – and hope to be selling it in our new gift shop, opening the March – FINALLY!