Monday, April 28, 2008

1st Herb Festival

The day could NOT have been better - for our first of what WILL be many,many more spring and fall Herb Festivals. Our vendors were terrific, we had Rowena Morrell (publicher of "In the Kitchen") do a cooking demonstration - and the weather held out until afternoon. We did close a bit early due to the HEAVY storms that came rolling in - but all in all, we had great feedback, and lots of customers. We bought a rainbarrell for the inn (today in this rain, we could use that 1500 gallon underground tank that I am dreaming of), a worm composing bin is on the way, and lots of great tomato, herb and perennial plants. Bill Bonwell (Stony Mountain Nursery) was here - he is such a great source for water gardens - and has given us LOTS of advice for our pond. My favorite goat lady was here (Gail Hobbs-Page of Caromont Farm) with lots of yummy samples, and I met several other people I know I will be running to again for plants!

A word about my current work-in-progress: I am exploring the possibilities of creating a non-profit educational farm/display gardens/exhibit space...and who knows what else...here on our property. There is such a diverse group of VERY active farmers in this area - all with incredible products, of the highest quality - yet I know they are so busy, they can scarcely take the time to give tours, speeches, and educate people like I know they yearn to be able to do. So - since we are used to having visitors, and we love it, why not take this great, central, easy-to-get-to location and use it for the community? I can see school groups coming during the week to tour the wetland area, demonstration dairy animals, chicken house, (maybe even a windmill/turbine?), I can see our inn guests on the weekends having MUCH to look at and explore, I can envision the Herb/Green festivals here on the grounds, maybe a farmstore/ u-pick berry farm, orchards - the list goes on and on. It is a big project - and I am just starting to wrap my head around the possibilities...and also to explore funding, conservation of the property, setting up a non-profit...all the things I know very little about. I think it may be a good direction to head - and it will end up giving the community of Scottsville a piece of their history preserved and taken care of forever - and available to everyone. I would hate to see this place someday just as a private home. It is so beautiful here, Peter & Jae did so much work to get listed on the National Registry of Historic Places...we want that work to be appreciated way into the future!

No comments: